Ivriyon: Hebrew Immersion Institute for Day 学校 Educators
Note: There are no current cohorts of Ivriyon, but Ivriyon courses may be taken during the 暑期班.
The Ivriyon summer institute prepares day school educators to teach Judaic subjects engagingly and effectively in Hebrew. The program combines intensive language immersion with powerful learning experiences to strengthen participating educators’ Hebrew language skills.
四周, full-time immersion program focuses on developing participants’ expressive skills through intensive communicative practice, 写作, 语法复习, 扩大词汇量. 在Ivriyon，教育工作者将学习:
- Create a Hebrew environment in their classrooms
- Lead discussions in Hebrew with students
- Write grammatically correct exercises and instructions
- Help students articulate ideas and feelings in Hebrew
- Converse comfortably with Hebrew-speaking colleagues
在暑期浸入式课程之后, each participant will be assigned a mentor to work with throughout the school year.
Ivriyon is designed for day school teachers of grades K–12 and for graduate students of Jewish education who plan to teach in a day school.
Participants should come to Ivriyon with an intermediate level of Hebrew.
High-intermediate proficiency is a stage of linguistic development at which the basic language structures and general vocabulary have been learned and can be activated fairly fluently (though with errors) in controlled or preplanned communicative situations and over a limited range of topics. The description is based on the guidelines of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL).
Expectations for Incoming Ivriyon Participants
- 说: Participants can describe self and family, 日常工作, and environment; narrate past events; and discuss future plans using present- and past-tense verbs. They are likely to have trouble with irregular conjugations and uncertain control of the future tense. 他们可以处理简单的, everyday communicative tasks and social situations, 用简单的语言表达观点.
- 阅读: Participants can read vocalized text without errors but read unfamiliar unvocalized text inaccurately and slowly. They can extract general information from simplified narrative, 描述性的, 以及话语文本, though they may rely more on lexical clues and overall context for deriving meaning than on grammatical relations. They have to read material several times for understanding.
- 聆听: Listening at the high-intermediate level is characterized by ability to understand sentence-length utterances uttered at a normal pace, as well as questions asked in context or repeated. The learners can gather the main gist of an overheard conversation on familiar topics, but need vocabulary preparation and contextual support in order to understand a lecture on an abstract topic.
- 写作: Participants can compose a short letter, a diary entry, a description of a problem, etc., with some spelling and grammar errors and basic vocabulary. Overall, the 写作 reflects the individual writer’s speech.
- 热身: Participants begin the day with a casual conversation in Hebrew to develop ease of expression while integrating new vocabulary and grammar.
- Dikduk: Small group sessions focus on improving Hebrew grammar, especially the verb system and syntax.
- 课堂模拟: Participants rotate teaching sample lessons in Hebrew while fellow participants act as class members. Lessons are followed by constructive feedback and reflection.
- 希伯来教育技术在JTS设备齐全的语言实验室, participants strengthen their Hebrew keyboarding skills, 学习使用希伯来语软件, 探索在线教学资源.
- 个人项目: Each participant chooses an educational project in Hebrew to develop over the course of the program and present at the program’s closing session.
The instructors are native Hebrew speakers who are veteran members of the JTS Hebrew Language faculty.
We believe that Hebrew is best learned in an environment that is interactive and fun. Ivriyon has a small student-teacher ratio, and class time includes Hebrew conversations, 示范课的教学, 以及希伯来语研讨会和演讲. You will strengthen your communicative skills, 去希伯来实地考察, and participate in workshops with experts on the teaching of Jewish studies in Hebrew.
Ivriyon is generously funded by The AVI CHAI Foundation.